Vietnamese Noodle Bowls with Lemongrass Chicken
Light, fresh flavor-packed Vietnamese Noodle Bowls are full of fresh ingredients and great textures. Lemongrass chicken is the flavor star of the main dish recipe.
- 1 stalk Lemongrass (white portion only) crushed and cut into 1-inch sections for easy removal after marinating
- 4 small Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons Avocado oil or Safflower Oil divided
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce (regular or gluten-free) do not use DARK soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon Fish sauce (regular or gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoon Honey can also use brown sugar, or a sugar substitute
- 1 pound Boneless skinless Chicken Thighs
- 6 ounces Vermicelli rice noodles
- 2 medium Carrots peeled and julienned
- 1/2 English cucumber rinsed and julienned (peeling not necessary)
- 4 cups Butter lettuce or shredded iceberg lettuce
- 2 tablespoons fresh Mint
- 2 tablespoons fresh Cilantro
- 1/2 cup prepared Nuoc Cham sauce
- 1 Lime quartered
- Chili oil for serving
Marinating the Lemongrass Chicken
In a plastic zipper-close gallon bag combine the lemongrass, garlic cloves, soy sauce, fish sauce, 1 tablespoon of the oil, and honey. Seal, shake to combine. Add in the chicken. Seal the bag squeezing out the air. Massage the marinade into the chicken. Marinate in the refrigerator a minimum of 1 hour up to 24 hours.Alternatively, the ingredient may be combined in a container with a lid. Mix marinade together first before adding the chicken.
Preparing the Noodle Bowl Ingredients
When ready to assemble, place the noodles in a large bowl and pour boiling water over them, stir and allow to soak for 5-10 minutes until soft. Drain thoroughly.
While the noodles are soaking, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Sear the chicken for 5-7 minutes per side until slightly charred and cooked through. The internal temperature should reach 165° F. Remove to a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes then slice into 1/2-inch thick strips.
Divide the noodles between 4 bowls, arrange the lettuce, carrots, cucumber, herbs, and chicken around the noodles. Drizzle with Nuoc Cham and chili oil to serve.
Recipe Time: the Prep Time includes 1 hour for marinating the lemongrass chicken. The chicken can be marinated up to 24 hours.
Oil: the suggested oils have a higher smoke point so the chicken will not smoke when cooked on the stove top. If wishing to use a different oil select one that has a higher smoke point for best results.
Soy Sauce: coconut aminos may be used for a soy free option. Do not use Dark soy sauce as the flavor will become overpowering.
Calories: 411kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 108mg | Sodium: 814mg | Potassium: 702mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 7896IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 74mg | Iron: 3mg