Grilled Steak Salad recipe with Peaches
This delicious grilled salad combines the flavors of seasoned grilled flank steak, grilled fresh peaches and mozzarella cheese with a bed of chilled Romaine lettuce. A homemade Basil Balsamic Vinaigrette is the finishing touch. The combination of sweet, savory, hot and chilled ingredients makes this a summer salad winner every time.
Large Bowl or platter
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 pound Flank Steak
- Spray of Avocado or Olive Oil about 1 teaspoon
- 1 large head Romaine Lettuce thinly sliced; a 5-ounce container of romaine hearts can be substituted. Chill the lettuce if possible.
- 6 ounces sliced fresh Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 ripe, firm Peaches rinsed well, cut into thick slices
- 8 Campari Tomatoes
- 1/4 large Red Onion thinly sliced
- Fresh Basil to garnish
Basil Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons Chopped Basil
- 3 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 clove minced Garlic
- Salt and Pepper to taste
In a small bowl, combine the salt, black pepper and garlic powder. Rub the mixture all over the flank steak and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and place a well seasoned grill pan in it to heat up for about 15 minutes.
While the pan is in the oven, make the dressing by adding the basil, garlic, balsamic vinegar and olive oil to a jar. Put on the lid and shake until the mixture is emulsified. Add salt and pepper to taste. NOTE: If you’d like your dressing to be sweeter, you can also add 1-2 teaspoons of honey. Once the pan is hot, place it on a burner on stovetop over medium heat (NOTE: leave oven on). Spray it with a bit of oil and lay the sliced peaches on it. Allow them to grill for about 30-45 seconds on each side, or until they have nice grill marks on each side. Carefully remove them with tongs and set them aside.
Brush or spray the remaining oil on the pan. Once it is hot, place the flank steak on the pan and sear for about 2 minutes on each side.
Transfer the pan to the oven until the steak reaches an internal temperature of about 135 degrees (aproximately 5-6 minutes; measure in the thickest part of the meat with an instant read thermometer).
Remove the steak from the pan to allow it to rest 5 minutes while completing the salad.
Place the grill pan back on the stovetop over medium heat. Once hot, briefly sear the cheese for 10 seconds or so on each side, which will help the cheese pick up some of the flavor of the steak and peaches and soften slightly. NOTE: Don’t leave the slices on too long or you’ll end up with a melted mess!
Divide the chilled romaine lettuce between four large serving dishes or bowls. Layer with the peaches, tomatoes, onion, cheese and sliced steak. Drizzle the dressing on top and garnish with fresh basil.
Yield: aproximately 1/2 cup dressing. 4 main dish salads.
- Consider using a mix is arugula, spinach and mixed greens instead of Romaine lettuce.
- For sweeter dressing, add 1-2 teaspoons of honey to the dressing prior to shaking it up.
- Use a seasoned cast iron grill pan. Spray with oil in a spray bottle, brush on the oil or use non-stick cooking spray.
- If using a grill heat to medium heat (350 degrees). Brush grates with grill brush and oil well before the peaches, and in between grilling the steak and cheese.Grill steak for a total of 10 minutes or until reaching 135 degrees internal temperature.
- Use an Instant Read thermometer. The thickness of cuts of flank steak vary, so using either an instant read thermometer or a thermometer with a probe that you leave in the meat is the best way to ensure the steak is cooked to perfection.
- Allow the steak to rest before slicing.This allows the juices to redistribute for best result. Rest for 5 minutes is using the grill pan and 10 minutes if using a grill.
Calories: 455kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 102mg | Sodium: 771mg | Potassium: 676mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 1308IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 250mg | Iron: 3mg