Hearty Vegetable Cabbage Soup
Hearty Vegetable Cabbage Soup is full of simple, wholesome ingredients and great flavor. Fast and easy to prepare on the stove top or in an Instant Pot.
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 small Sweet onion chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 8 cups Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground Black pepper
- ½ small head Cabbage chopped
- 3 Carrots peeled and sliced
- 3 stalks Celery sliced
- 1 14.5-ounce can Seasoned stewed tomatoes whole or diced
Stove Top Preparation Method
In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
Saute the onions until they are tender and transparent.
Add garlic and saute one additional minute.
Add in the broth, salt, pepper, cabbage, carrots, celery and stewed tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until all vegetables are tender and cabbage has wilted. Serve!
Instant Pot Preparation Method
Turn 6-quart Instant Pot to Saute setting. Add the olive oil.
Saute the onions until translucent.
Add garlic; saute an additional minute. Turn off the Saute function.
Add the remaining ingredients (vegetable broth, salt, pepper, cabbage, carrots, celery and tomatoes. Seal, turn vent to sealed position. Turn Instant Pot to Manual High Pressure for 15 minutes. NOTE: it will take the Instant Pot 10-15 minutes to come to pressure.
When cooking is complete, carefully MANUALLY RELEASE pressure. Serve!
Instant Pot Total Time: cooking in the Instant Pot will take slightly longer than cooking on the stove top due to the time to come to pressure. It should be aproximately 45 minutes total time.
- The consistency of this soup may be adjusted by adding more cabbage or veggies if you want it chunkier OR adding more broth.
- Sauteing onions and garlic in the stock pot or Dutch oven, then adding remaining ingredients really builds the soup's flavor.
- The soup is delicious the next day; double the batch if desired.
- Chopped Parsley good garnish choice to add color and not detract with the soup's flavor.
Calories: 81kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1270mg | Potassium: 242mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 4433IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 1mg