Red White and Blue Cake
This fun box mix hack makes a fun three color cake perfect for Memorial Day or Fourth of July.
- 1 White Cake Box Mix with additional ingredients as specified for the mix gluten-free or gluten; refer to blog post for gluten-free suggestions (I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Yellow Cake modified with the white cake option)
- Blue Food Coloring I used Wilton Color Right Performance Base Blue
- Red Food Coloring I used Wilton Color Right Performance Base Red
- 1 8-ounce tub tub prepared Whipped Cream Topping thawed per package instructions
- Optional red white and blue sprinkles
Preheat the oven to the temperature specified on the cake mix. Lightly spray a 13-inch by 9-inch baking sheet with non-stick spray.
Prepare the cake mix as instructed. Divide it into three even portions in three bowls. Add red dye to one bowl and blue dye to another (if using concentrated dyes 2 drops will probably be adequate; add more as needed for the desired color).
Spread the white layer of cake batter on the bottom of the prepared pan and smooth with a spatula for full coverage.
For the second layer (red): move the bowl over the first layer, using a spatula, gently drizzle the red batter on top of the white for best coverage. DO NOT MIX the layers. NOTE: don’t worry if the white layer isn’t fully covered; refer to photos. Repeat for the third layer (blue).
Tap the baking pan gently on the countertop to release any air bubble and bake per package instructions. After baking remove to cool completely.
When cool, spread the whipped cream topping to cover the top of the cake. Cover and chill or serve immediately. Add sprinkles on individual servings.
Calories: 167kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 240mg | Potassium: 43mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 105IU | Calcium: 91mg | Iron: 0.7mg