Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup is a perfect cold weather recipe with robust, spicy flavors, simple and quick to prepare. Using canned ingredients makes the preparation go quickly. If desired you can swap for the fresh equivalent of any of the canned ingredients. Swap leftover turkey for the chicken to make a perfect holiday leftovers recipes!
Servings 6 1 1/2 cup servings (total recipe yield: 9 1/2 cups soup)
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1 cup Yellow Onion chopped
- 1 4-ounce can Diced Green Chilies mild or hot
- 1 package Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 15-ounce can Diced Tomatoes do not drain
- 6 cups low sodium Chicken Broth/Stock (turkey broth may be substituted)
- 2 cups cooked Chicken or Turkey cut into ½ inch cubes (rotisserie chicken works great)
- 1 1/2 cups Corn Kernels fresh, frozen/thawed or 1 15-ounce can drained
- 1/3 cup fresh Cilantro chopped
- ½ cup crushed Tortilla Chips
- ½ cup Monterey Jack Cheese grated
In a large stock pot over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add onions and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
Add diced green chilies and taco seasoning mix. Stir to combine and cook 1 minute.
Add tomatoes and their liquid, and broth or stock. Increase heat to bring to a boil.
Add corn kernels and the chicken (or turkey). Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
Serve topped with crushed tortilla chips, grated cheese and chopped cilantro.
This soup can be made with either chicken or turkey. It's a great holiday leftover idea with turkey.
If Using Turkey
Cut into ½ inch cubes. Leftover holiday turkey can be used. Or purchase from a deli counter three slices cut ½ inch thick generally equates required amount.
Grated Cheese topping
Finely grated Colby and Monterey Jack cheese blend, or Mexican cheese blend sold prepared in the dairy section are substitutes that are delicious and save time grating.
Using Turkey Stock or Broth
Homemade Turkey Stock can be substituted if making this as a Turkey Tortilla soup.
Calories: 229kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 32mg | Sodium: 1222mg | Potassium: 433mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 200IU | Vitamin C: 22.7mg | Calcium: 114mg | Iron: 1.5mg