Pumpkin Mexican Hot Chocolate
Cooler temperatures call for a rich, deep hot chocolate and nothing beats this homemade Pumpkin Mexican Hot Chocolate. It's soul-warming with layered flavors sure to warm your spirit! This recipe is very rich making smaller portions satisfying.
Servings 4 servings
- 2 cups Whole Milk (or milk type of your choosing)
- 3 ounces sweetened Mexican Chocolate , chopped
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Ancho Chile Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Light Brown Sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground Allspice
- 1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoons ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons Pumpkin Puree
- 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Optional: Whipped Cream to top
In a medium saucepan combine milk, Mexican chocolate, dutch-processed chocolate, ancho chile, brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon and salt over medium-low heat. Stir/whisk frequently to combine and ensure the milk does not burn. Note: whisking helps to incorporate the powdered chocolate.
Continue to stir mixture often until the Mexican chocolate is melted. Whisk to fully combine the hot chocolate.
Lower heat to lowest setting. Add the pumpkin puree and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine. Allow to sit on the low heat for 3-5 minutes for the flavors to fully blend. The chocolate should be smooth, rich and hot. Serve immediately.
Calories: 208kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 135mg | Potassium: 367mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 5040IU | Vitamin C: 1.3mg | Calcium: 158mg | Iron: 1.8mg