Roasted Sweet Potato Chipotle Soup with Bacon Bits
This healthy winter soup is brimming with flavor and smoldering heat thanks to the adobo sauce. Perfectly balanced between sweet, salty and spicy, it is sure to become a favorite comfort food of the season!
Servings 10 -12 cups of soup
- 4 pounds Sweet Potatoes , scrubbed and dried with skins on (do not prick the skins; the skin will balloon while roasting making it very easy to remove afterwards)
- 1 medium Yellow Onion , chopped (approximately 1 cup)
- 2 Garlic Cloves , chopped
- 1 teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 strips of Bacon , cooked until crisp, drained and crumbled into bits
- 1 15- ounce can Cannellini Beans , drained
- 6-8 cups Low Sodium Chicken Stock (I always use organic)
- 1 ½-2 teaspoons Adobo Sauce (found in Chipotle en Adobo; just do not use the actual chilies)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour until they are soft when pressed. Allow to cool until they can be comfortably handled; remove the skins and place them in a very large mixing bowl or stock pot.
While the potatoes are cooking, add the olive oil to a medium skillet and sauté the onions and garlic until translucent; 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and add to the mixing bowl with the potatoes.
Add the cannellini beans, 6 cups chicken stock, and 1 ½ teaspoon adobo sauce to the mixing bowl or stock pot. Roughly mash the sweet potatoes with a potato masher or mixing spoon.
Process in batches either through a traditional blender or using an immersion blender until the mixture is completely smooth. Transfer batching into a large stock pot over medium heat.
Heat soup until lightly simmering. Taste and add salt or pepper. The soup will be thick. If desiring a thinner soup, add the remaining chicken stock, 1 cup at a time, fully whisking or stirring to incorporate before adding the second cup (if at all). If more spiciness is desired the remaining ½ teaspoon of adobo sauce may also be added. Serve hot garnished with a small amount of bacon crumblings.
Calories: 368kcal | Carbohydrates: 66g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 322mg | Potassium: 1576mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 25740IU | Vitamin C: 5.4mg | Calcium: 173mg | Iron: 6.2mg