Slow Cooker Beer-Simmered Corned Beef and Vegetables
The quintessential American food to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, this method of cooking Corned Beef yields a succulent, flavor-packed end result perfect to celebrate any day. The recipe takes about 24 hours between soaking the brined corned beef and cooking it in the slow cooker but it requires little effort from the cook. After cooking it can be refrigerated overnight for easier trimming of the fat and if choosing to do so should be stored in a sealed container with some of the cooking liquid.
- 3-4 pound flat-cut Corned Beef brisket
- 1 medium-large Yellow Onion , peeled and cut into 4-8 wedges
- 1 large Carrot , cut into large pieces (does not need to be peeled)
- 2 stalks of Celery , cut into 3-4 inch pieces
- Seasoning packet for corned beef (will be included when purchasing the corned beef)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 3-5 sprigs fresh Thyme
- 1 pint (2 cups) medium to dark Beer (I used Green’s Gluten-Free Dubbel Dark Ale)
- 1 cup Water
- 4 medium potatoes , thin-skinned potatoes (e.g. Yukon Gold, Red New, etc.), scrubbed and cut into quarters
- 1-2 large carrots , peeled and cut into 3-4 inch lengths
- Optional: small head of green or savoy cabbage , halved and one half cut into wedges
- Salt and Pepper to taste
In a large stock pot or mixing bowl immerse the corned beef in water (covered by a few inches); cover or seal with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight.
Remove the corned beef, rinse and set aside.
Line the bottom of the slow cooker with the onion wedges, unpeeled carrots and celery. Place the corned beef fat side up on top of the vegetables.
Sprinkle the seasoning packet, bay leaf and thyme sprigs on the corned beef. Pour the beer and water over the corned beef. Place the lid on the slow cooker.
Set slow cooker on low for 10 hours.
After 8 hours: Place the potato wedges and peeled carrots around the top of the slow cooker around or on top of the corned beef. Return lid to slow cooker.
After 9 hours: Place cabbage wedges on top of the vegetables (do not pack the slow cooker too full). Return lid to slow cooker.
When the cooking completes, scoop top vegetables into serving vessels using a slotted spoon to keep cooking liquid in the slow cooker. Remove the corned beef from the slow cooker and allow it to rest for at least 20 minutes before slicing across the grain to serve. Excess fat may be trimmed before serving.
The corned beef may be prepared ahead of time and stored in a container with some of the cooking juices in the refrigerator until serving. For leftover use, discard the cooking liquid and store the corned been in a plastic storage bag or sealable container.
Calories: 437kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 91mg | Sodium: 2103mg | Potassium: 1055mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 2610IU | Vitamin C: 60.9mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 6.5mg