Slow Cooker Pumpkin White Bean Sausage Chili
Sweet, spicy, creamy seasonal chili thanks to the addition of pumpkin puree. Breakfast sausage, ground turkey, white beans blend for a balanced one pot dish effortlessly whipped up in the slow cooker. Great served with Cornbread or Beer Bread.
Servings 7 cups chili
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1 medium Yellow Onion , chopped
- ¾ cup chopped Sweet Peppers , (green, yellow, orange, red or a mix)
- 1 tablespoon fresh Sage leaves , diced (approximately 6 large leaves)
- ½ pound Ground Turkey (preferably turkey thigh)
- ½ pound ground Breakfast Sausage
- 1 15- ounce can Great Northern Beans , rinsed
- 1 15- ounce can Diced Tomatoes , undrained
- 1 cup Water
- 1 15- ounce can Pumpkin Puree (or fresh pumpkin puree)
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 tablespoon ground Cumin
- ¾ teaspoon Paprika
- ¾ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- ¾ teaspoon Oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Top with: torn Cilantro leaves and mild White Cheddar
In a large skillet warm 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion until translucent.
Add the sweet peppers and sauté an additional 1-2 minutes until pepper begin to soften. Spoon the contents of the skillet into the slow cooker.
Heat the remaining teaspoon of olive oil in the skillet and sauté the sage leaves until fragrant (2 minutes). Add the ground turkey and breakfast sausage and cook until no pink color remains; breaking meat into small pieces while it cooks. Add the meat to the slow cooker.
Add beans, tomatoes, water pumpkin, salt and spices to the slow cooker. Stir all ingredients together. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
Calories: 278kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 492mg | Potassium: 738mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 10915IU | Vitamin C: 31.5mg | Calcium: 94mg | Iron: 4.1mg