Orange Chicken and Romenesco Stir Fry with Clementines
This healthy, colorful dish is filling to the stomach as well as the eyes! Moist, succulent chicken stir-fried with ginger, garlic, jalapeno and crunchy Romanesco in an orange sauce make a filling and fast to prepare dish. If Romanesco is not available, broccoli may be substituted. Serve it alone, over rice or to pump up the superfoods try it over prepared quinoa.
Servings 7 cups of stir fry
- ¼ cup Orange Juice
- 2 tablespoons Tamari (soy sauce may be substituted if the dish does not need to be gluten-free)
- 2 teaspoons Cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons Sunflower Oil , divided
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper , seeded and diced
- 2 large Garlic Cloves , diced
- 1 teaspoon Ginger , peeled and diced
- ½ Yellow Onion , chopped
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper , seeded and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups Romanesco florets (TIP: for larger florets make an X in the bottom of the stem with a knife for better cooking); broccoli may be substituted
- 1 pound boneless skinless Chicken Breasts , cut into ¾-inch pieces
- 2 Clementines , peeled and divided into segments
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
- Garnish: Sliced Scallions , white and light green portions
- Prepared Rice (optional)
In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, Tamari sauce and cornstarch. Whisk to fully combine and set aside.
Heat a wok or large skillet on medium-high. Add the 1 tablespoon of the oil; when rippling can be observed on the oil’s surface it’s hot (less than 30 seconds).
Add the garlic, ginger and jalapeno to the wok and stir constantly for 30 seconds.
Add the onions and the bell pepper; stir-cook for 1 minute. Remove the vegetables from the wok and set aside.
Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the wok. Add the chicken and cook until the outside becomes white (a few minutes). Add the Romanesco and cook 3-5 minutes until it begins to turn darker green.
Add the orange juice mixture to the wok and allow to heat for a few seconds. As it thickens toss the chicken and Romanesco to fully coat.
Add the vegetables that were set aside and toss to combine. Add the clementine segments and lemon zest and toss a few times to incorporate. Serve immediately garnished with scallions.
Calories: 139kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 364mg | Potassium: 353mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 590IU | Vitamin C: 40.8mg | Calcium: 13mg | Iron: 0.5mg