Seychelles-Style Coconut Chicken Curry
An authentic tropical chicken curry recipe with warming flavors.
Servings 8 Makes 6 cups of Curry
- 2 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 1 medium White Onion , peeled and chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves , peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon diced fresh Ginger Root
- 1 tablespoon White Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground Cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground Ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated Nutmeg (freshly grated if possible)
- ¼ teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons Curry Powder (preferably Madras Curry Powder)
- 1 small pinch Saffron
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Kaffir Lime Leaf
- 8- ounce Russet Potato , peeled and cut into ¾ inch cubes
- ½ pound boneless , skinless Chicken Breast (usually 1 medium-large breast), cut into small cubes
- 1 pound boneless , skinless Chicken Thighs, cut into small cubes
- 12 ounces Coconut Milk
- ½ teaspoon (or more as needed) Kosher Salt to taste
- 6 cups prepared White Rice
In a large heavy pot with lid, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the onions and saute until semi-translucent; about 3 minutes.
Add the garlic, fresh ginger, white pepper, cloves, ground ginger, nutmeg, curry powder, saffron, bay leaf and kaffir lime leaf. Stir over medium heat and allow to cook for 2 minutes to release the aromatics of the spices.
Add the potatoes and chicken; coat fully with the spices. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring once or twice during the cooking time.
Pour in the coconut milk, lower heat to low, cover and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove the lid, stir and allow the mixture to cook an additional 15 minutes until creamy.
Remove the bay leaf and Kaffir lime leaf before serving and salt to taste. Serve over steamed rice.
Calories: 412kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 53mg | Sodium: 55mg | Potassium: 600mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 20IU | Vitamin C: 3.9mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 5.2mg