Spicy Black Bean Soup
This comforting soup is full of vegetables and spices to perk up the flavor and warm the senses. It is not overly spicy and can be made more so by adding crushed red pepper flakes or hot sauce for individual servings.
Servings 5 cups soup
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 large Yellow Onion , peeled and chopped
- 4 medium Garlic Cloves , peeled and chopped
- 2 large Celery Stalks , scrubbed and chopped
- 1 large Carrot , ends removed, scrubbed and chopped
- 1 small Jalapeno Chile Pepper (2 inches long), stem removed and chopped
- 1 15- ounce cans Black Beans , drained and rinsed
- 4 cups Low Sodium Vegetable Broth (chicken broth also may be substituted though it won't be a vegan soup)
- 1 tablespoon ground Cumin
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Lime Juice
- ¼ cup fresh Cilantro
- 1 tablespoon Adobo Sauce (can be taken from a can of Chipotle en Adobo)
- Kosher Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper , to taste
- 1 medium Jalapeno Pepper , stem removed and finely diced
- Garnish suggestions: crushed tortilla chips , diced red pepper, red pepper flakes, torn cilantro leaves, sour cream
In a large Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrot and chopped jalapeno. Sauté for 5 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften.
Add the beans, vegetable stock, and cumin to the Dutch oven and stir to combine. Allow to come to a simmer, then lower the heat to Low and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
Stir in the apple cider vinegar, lime juice, cilantro, and adobo sauce. For a chunkier texture: use an immersion blender to blend the soup in the pot to desired texture. _For smoother soup: add the soup into a blender in batches and puree to desired texture (also some may be pureed and some not to have a combined texture)._ Return the soup to the Dutch oven is passing it through the blender.
Salt and pepper to taste before serving. The second diced jalapeno pepper may be added to the bottom of the serving bowls for additional texture and heat, or used as a garnish. Optional garnish (any or a combination): crushed tortilla chips, diced red pepper, red pepper flakes, torn cilantro leaves, sour cream
Calories: 216kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 1395mg | Potassium: 465mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 2640IU | Vitamin C: 11.6mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 2.9mg