Wacky Cake Recipe
Wacky Cake is a great way to make a fudgy chocolate cake without eggs, butter or milk/cream.
- 1 ½ cups All Purpose Flour or Gluten-free Flour measure-for-measure flour blend
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ cup Unsweetened Cocoa (plus 1-2 tablespoons to prepare the pan)
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- ½ cup Water (room temperature)
- ½ cup prepared Coffee (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 1/2 cups Mini Semi-Sweet Baking Chips (for allergy-friendly use Enjoy Life Foods Mini Semi-Sweet Baking Chips
- 1/2 cup Cream, Milk or Rice Milk (allergy-friendly) (For allergy-friendly: Organic Rice Dream Classic)
- 2 6-ounce cartons fresh Raspberries
- ½ cup Dark Chocolate Chips (use Enjoy Life Foods for allergy-friendly results)
Preparing the Cake Pan
Grease a 9-inch round cake pan. Spoon a bit of cocoa into the pan and rotate the pan, tapping it to allow the cocoa to cover all greased surfaces.
Turn the pan upside down and tap on a hard surface (over the kitchen sink is great) to release excess cocoa.
Making the Wacky Cake
Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, baking soda and xanthan gum (if using) into the prepared pan.
Make three wells in the flour mixture; one large and two smaller.
Add the oil to the largest well, and the vinegar and vanilla each to the two smaller wells.
Pour the water and coffee over the entire mixture. and mix together using a fork or spatula ensuring all the dry ingredients incorporate with the wet ingredients (do not overmix).
Mix together using a fork or spatula ensuring all the dry ingredients incorporate with the wet ingredients (do not overmix).
Stir in the chocolate chips.
Bake for 30-40 minutes until the cake is done (it will begin to pull away from the sides of the pan) a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan on a rack for 15 minutes and then turn out onto the rack to finish cooling completely.
Allow to cool in the pan on a rack for 15 minutes and then turn out onto the rack to finish cooling completely.
Making the Chocolate Ganache (refer to Recipe Notes for milk suggestions)
While the cake is cooling, make the Chocolate Ganache: in a metal bowl over a medium saucepan of simmering water (do not allow the bottom of the bowl to touch the water) combine the 1 1/2 cups of chocolate semi-sweet chips and the rice milk or dairy milk.
Stir periodically until fully the chocolate is melted then whisk to fully combine (note: this will thicken the ganache and make it glossy).
Remove from heat and place bowl with ganache a larger bowl with ice in it into the refrigerator to cool and thicken; approximately 15 minutes.
The ganache on the bottom of the bowl will be thicker than the rest; stir and whisk together for an even, thick consistency.
Making the Chocolate Chip Stuffed Raspberries
Finishing the Wacky Cake
When the cake is fully cooled, place the cooling rack with the cake on a rimmed baking sheet.
Pour the ganache onto the cake spreading it to cover the top and sides; allowing any excess to drip onto the baking sheet.
Place the chocolate-stuffed raspberries on the ganache. Note: the ganache will be thicker than shown in the photo; photo is to illustrate the cake/rack/pan set up.
Be sure to make divots for the liquid ingredients deep enough that the ingredients do not run together for best results.
Milk options for the Ganache:
- Rice milk was used to make this a full allergy-friendly recipe
- The ganache may be made with any milk or heavy cream (the usual) you desire.
- The amount needed may vary due to the fat and thickness of the type of milk so start with a smaller amount and gauge adding more by the thickness of the ganache.
I recommend Enjoy Life Foods for allergy-friendly chocolate for this recipe.
- Regular all purpose flour, gluten-free flour or gluten-free measure-for-measure type flour may be used.
Calories: 394kcal | Carbohydrates: 61g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 314mg | Potassium: 266mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 35g | Vitamin A: 10IU | Vitamin C: 7.4mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 2.6mg