This Triple Chocolate Wacky Cake recipe with Chocolate-Stuffed Raspberries is fascinating to make as it is delicious to eat! A true feat of baking chemistry the cake does not require any eggs, milk or butter. It is a fudgy chocolate chip chocolate cake, slathered with allergy-friendly chocolate ganache and topped with chocolate-stuffed raspberries. It’s gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan and free of the top 8 food allergens (but you’d never know it when you take a bite!)
This allergy-friendly recipe is sponsored by Enjoy Life Foods. All opinions are my own.
Wacky Cake Recipe
- 1 ½ cups Gluten-free Flour
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ cup Unsweetened Cocoa (plus 1-2 tablespoons to prepare the pan)
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum (omit if flour blend used has xanthan gum)
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- ½ cup Water (room temperature)
- ½ cup prepared Coffee (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 1/2 cups Enjoy Life Foods Mini Semi-Sweet Baking Chips
- 1/2 cup Rice Milk (I used Organic Rice Dream Classic): SEE NOTES for more milk options!
- 2 6- ounce cartons fresh Raspberries
- ½ cup Enjoy Life Foods Dark Chocolate Morsels
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan. Spoon a bit of cocoa into the pan and rotate the pan, tapping it to allow the cocoa to cover all greased surfaces. Turn the pan upside down and tap on a hard surface (over the kitchen sink is great) to release excess cocoa.
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, baking soda and xanthan gum (if using) into the prepared pan.
- Make three wells in the flour mixture; one large and two smaller. Add the oil to the largest well, and the vinegar and vanilla each to the two smaller wells.
- Pour the water and coffee over the entire mixture and mix together using a fork or spatula ensuring all the dry ingredients incorporate with the wet ingredients (do not overmix).
- Stir in the chocolate chips and bake for 30-40 minutes until the cake is done (it will begin to pull away from the sides of the pan) a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan on a rack for 15 minutes and then turn out onto the rack to finish cooling completely.
- After taking the cake out of the pan and putting it on the rack to cool, make the Allergy-Friendly Chocolate Ganache: in a metal bowl over a medium saucepan of simmering water (do not allow the bottom of the bowl to touch the water) combine the 1 1/2 cups of chocolate semi-sweet chips and the rice milk. Stir periodically until fully melted then whisk to fully combine (this will thicken the ganache and make it glossy). Remove from heat and place in a larger bowl with ice in it in the refrigerator to cool and thicken; approximately 15 minutes. The ganache on the bottom of the bowl will be thicker than the rest; stir and whisk together for an even, thick consistency.
- While the ganache is cooling stuff the Raspberries: Insert one Dark Chocolate Morsel into each raspberry, pointed side of the morsel facing the inside of the berry (flat side facing out). Stuffed berries may be kept in the refrigerator until adding them to the top of the cake.
- When the cake is fully cooled, place the cooling rack with the cake on a baking sheet. Pour the ganache onto the cake spreading it to cover the top and sides; allowing any excess to drip onto the baking sheet. Place the chocolate-stuffed raspberries on the ganache. Note: the ganache will be thicker than shown in the photo; photo is to illustrate the cake/rack/pan set up.
Recipe NotesMilk options for the Ganache: Rice milk was used to make this a full allergy-friendly recipe however the ganache may be made with any milk or heavy cream (the usual) you desire. The amount needed may vary due to the fat and thickness of the type of milk however so start with a smaller amount and gauge adding more by the thickness of the ganache.
More about Enjoy Life Foods and their baking chocolate:
All their products are certified gluten-free and free-from the top 8 most common allergens as defined by the FDA (wheat, dairy, soy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts (including coconut), fish and shellfish). They are also all verified Non-GMO, certified Kosher and Halal, and are made with no artificial ingredients. A selection of our products are also certified vegan.
Enjoy Life Foods 3 Baking Chocolates (Semi-Sweet Mini Chips, Semi-Sweet Mega Chunks, and Dark Chocolate Morsels) are also certified Paleo-Friendly by the Paleo Foundation. Full ingredient and nutritional information here.
I want to connect with you! Leave a comment and follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest & Instagram!