Chicken Enchiladas are a comfort food favorite but take time to prepare. Chicken skillet enchiladas have all the flavors you love, is ready in about 30 minutes making it perfect for busy weeknights. It’s a recipe the whole family will love.
There is no question why chicken enchiladas are one of the more popular entrees at Mexican restaurants.
Chock full of moist shredded chicken, tomatoes, spicy earthy enchilada sauce, ooey gooey cheese all rolled into a tortilla.
They are warming, satisfying, filling comfort food.
The only thing better than chicken enchiladas are deconstructed chicken enchiladas as in this skillet recipe.
Chicken Enchiladas Skillet is easy to make, full of robust exciting flavors and quick to get on the table any night of the week. It’s a family favorite for a tasty weeknight meal.
If you like classic enchiladas try our easy Chicken Enchiladas recipe too.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- All the ingredients you love in enchiladas are here.
- There is no time spent cooking the filling and rolling tortillas.
- Everything is mixed together making a delicious FAST Mexican skillet casserole.
- It’s ready in 30 minutes.
- The best part? It only uses a single pan!
Recipe Ingredients Notes
The ingredients in this chicken enchilada skillet recipe are easy to find. For the Mexican ingredients check the international aisle of the grocery store. See the printable recipe card below for detailed ingredients.
Vegetable oil. Used to sauté the vegetables. Olive oil can be substituted if desired.
Red onion. Yellow or white onion can be substituted.
Ground Cumin. Adds classic earthy flavor to the pan enchiladas. Be sure to use ground cumin not cumin seeds.
Dried oregano. Adds more flavor. Mexican oregano can be substituted too.
Rotel. You’ll need 1 10-ounce can of Rotel. Not familiar with Rotel?
Ro*tel is a brand of canned tomatoes with green chilies originating in Texas. The name ‘Rotel’ has become known as a product identifier more than a brand. Recipes calling for Rotel are looking for a canned diced or chopped tomato with some chilies mixed in.
If the Rotel brand is unavailable in your area, find similar products in the canned vegetable aisle of the grocery store. Substitute something the appeals to you with a Mexican flavor. I love fire roasted tomatoes with chilies!
Enchilada sauce. You’ll need 1 15-ounce can of red enchilada sauce. Homemade enchilada sauce can also be used.
Corn tortillas. Use 6 regular size corn tortillas cut into strips. Corn tortillas have a better end result in this skillet than flour tortillas (and they are naturally gluten-free).
Cooked shredded Chicken or Mexican shredded chicken. This can be homemade or store bought. See the section below for options.
Corn. Use one cup frozen corn. It does not need to be thawed before cooking.
Colby Jack cheese. This will need to be shredded and we recommend shredding it yourself. Prepared shredded cheese has an anti-caking agent added which prohibits it from turning into melty cheese as nicely as home grated cheese.
Piling favorite toppings on chicken enchiladas is a favorite part! Use your toppings of choice! Here are some ideas:
- Torn fresh cilantro
- Sour cream (this also takes the spicy heat out of dishes!) or plain Greek yogurt
- Pico de Gallo or other salsa
- Sliced green onions
- Tortilla chips on the side for scooping
Shredded Chicken options
There are multiple ways to shred chicken for this chicken enchilada skillet.
- Leftover chicken. If you have leftovers from another meal, shred it and use it here.
- The Best Homemade Shredded Chicken (recommended)/ The two-part recipe cooks boneless skinless chicken breast to perfection then has a fast easy shredding method you’ll love. The chicken breasts can be used without shredding too. It’s one of the most popular recipes on BoulderLocavore.com for good reason: Best Homemade Shredded Chicken recipe!
- Shredded Rotisserie Chicken. You can purchase shredded rotisserie chicken at the grocery store or buy a rotisserie chicken and shred yourself. It can be shredded with two forks, tearing the meat into shreds. You also can use the shredding tip in the method above as a total time saver.
- Frozen Shredded Chicken. This is available already prepared in the frozen food section of the grocery store. This option is perfect for a skillet recipe like this. Keep a bag in your freezer for recipes like this!
How to Make this Skillet Chicken Enchilada recipe – Step by Step
For a detailed printable recipe refer to the recipe card at the bottom of the blog post.
STEP 1. Preparation
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
STEP 2. Sauté
In an large ovenproof skillet (12-inch skillet; a 12-inch cast iron skillet work great) heat the oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions until translucent.
Add the spices, salt and garlic; sauté one minute longer (photo 1). Remove from heat.
STEP 3. Build the skillet
Add the Rotel and enchilada sauce (photo 2), chicken, corn, corn tortilla strips and half of the cheese (photo 3).
Stir to combine (photo 4).Top with the remaining cheese (photo 5).
STEP 4. Bake
Bake for 20 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbling (photo 6). Top with sour cream and chopped cilantro or any other favorite toppings and serve!
Use a different meat. Try ground beef or ground turkey instead of shredded chicken. The meat will need to be saluted after the vegetables.
Love beans? Add some. Black beans, pinto beans or red kidney beans are all delicious options.
Try green enchilada sauce! For a different flavor.
For some smoky flavor: adds some abodo sauce or a chipotle pepper from a can of chipotles en adobo.
Make it vegetarian. To make vegetarian skillet enchiladas leave out the chicken and add more vegetables, like red bell pepper and beans. Sauté if needed before assembling and baking the vegetarian enchiladas.
Frequently Asked Questions
Sauté the ingredients as described in a skillet on the stove top. Then assemble the chicken enchilada in a baking dish or casserole dish and bake as instructed.
How to Store
Transfer any leftovers into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat servings in the microwave.
More recipes you’ll love!
Chicken Enchilada Skillet
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- ¼ cup chopped Red Onion
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried Oregano
- ¾ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Garlic clove minced
- 1 10-ounce can Rotel
- 1 15-ounce can Enchilada sauce
- 6 Corn tortillas cut into strips
- 2 cups shredded chicken purchased or homemade
- 1 cup frozen Corn
- 2 cups shredded Colby Jack cheese divided
- Cilantro for garnish optional
- Sour cream optional
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large oven-proof skillet or saute pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Saute red onion over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add cumin, oregano, salt and garlic. Cook an additional 30- 60 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Add Rotel, enchilada sauce, tortillas, chicken, corn and 1 cup of cheese. Stir to combine.
- Top with remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes until bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Garnish with cilantro and sour cream.
Published originally: August 1, 2019