This classic comfort soup is made even easier by preparing it in a slow cooker. Hours of simmering create a rich depth of flavor in this Slow Cooker Split Pea and Ham Soup recipe with no effort from you!
The low slow cooking develops fantastic flavor for this rustic, classic soup. It's a great way to use up holiday ham and the ham bone. Ham hocks may also be substituted any time of year.
- 1 medium Yellow Onion, chopped
- 2 stalks medium-large Celery, rinsed and chopped
- 3 large Carrots, scrubbed and chopped
- 1 Ham Bone (or 2 ham hocks)
- 1 pound dried Split Peas
- 8 cups Low Sodium Chicken Stock
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Kosher Salt and Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 cup chopped ham (if there is not meat on the ham bone)
- Add the vegetables to the insert of a 6 quart slow cooker. Add the split peas and place the ham bone on top. Pour in the chicken stock and add the bay leaves. Cook on LOW for 8 hours. Remove any meat from the ham bone and add back to the soup before serving. Salt and pepper to taste. Additional ham may be added if desired.
I want to connect with you! Leave a comment and follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest & Instagram!