Fresh Savory Tomato Pie has been my favorite summer recipe for years now, and I feel sure you'll agree once making it. It has even swayed the most vehement of 'tomato-haters' to reconsider their position! The original recipes suggests using a range of ripe tomatoes to achieve the fullest possible flavor, mixing succulent heirlooms with new hybrids. I fully agree. A variety of cherry tomatoes also adds color and flavor.
Use your favorite pie crust recipe, gluten-free or regular, or substitute a prepared pie crust. The results will be equally delicious!
- Prepared Pie Crust recipe for an 8 inch to 9 inch pie crust (or purchased pie crust)*
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper, freshly ground
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded fresh Basil Leaves
- 4 medium ripe Tomatoes, cored, cut in half and sliced
- 1 cup Yellow Cherry Tomatoes, cut in half**
- 1 cup Red Cherry Tomatoes, cut in half**
- 1 cup fine Bread Crumbs (I used Ian's Gluten-Free Panko Crumbs)***
- ½ cup coarsely grated fresh Mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup coarsely grated Pecorino or Asiago cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line an 8 inch or 9 inch pie pan with pie crust OR take the lazy-girl route like me and use a purchased pie crust (see below). If you are gluten free, adapt the crust type to your needs.
- Prick the crust all over with a fork and bake until lightly browned (8-12 minutes; check frequently after 8 minutes so it does not brown too much). Remove the crust and set aside. Leave the oven on.
- While the pie crust is cooking, place all the tomatoes in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, mix together the salt, pepper, garlic and basil. Sprinkle over tomatoes, gently stir to incorporate with the tomatoes and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In another medium mixing bowl, combine the cheeses and bread crumbs. Toss to fully combine.
- Sprinkle a light layer of the bread crumb-cheese mixture in the bottom of the prepared pie crust. Using a slotted spoon, add a layer of the tomatoes on top of the bread crumbs and cheese. Continue layering in this way, ending with a sprinkling of the bread crumbs and cheese.
- Bake until warmed through, about 20 to 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Fresh from the Garden Cookbook. *I often use Whole Foods Gluten-Free Pie Crust found in the frozen section. Let it thaw before using. **Use any combination of colored Cherry Tomatoes you love. The color adds a great dimension to the recipe as well as varied flavors. ***Another option with bread crumbs is to make your own which I often do. Toast some slices of bread either in a toaster or under a broiler. Process them through a blender or food processor into crumbs. If they are still moist, spread them out on a baking sheet under a broiler for 30 seconds (keep an eye on them so they don't burn). Extras can be stored in the freezer in a sealed plastic bag or freezer-proof container.