Leap Year Cocktail, History, Traditions and Superstitions!

I am always interested in food customs surrounding holidays of all kinds.  Leap Year is not technically a holiday but frankly anything that only happens every four years must have some honorary ‘cousin of a holiday’ status at a minimum.
The origins of Leap Year date back to ancient Egypt when it was discovered the solar and man made calendars did not line up.  The Romans instituted February 29 as a leap day, though that was fine tuned in the 16th century with the Gregorian calendar to be more formulaic establishing it every 4 years.

My first point of interest is always what the food customs are of a holiday.  In all my research I found there are definitely some social customs but really no coordinated food for Leap Year.  In the British Isles it is like a matrimonial Sadie Hawkins day where woman are ‘allowed’ to ask men to marry them.  In Scotland Queen Margaret instituted a fine for any man declining such a proposal by a woman of a kiss, pair of gloves or a silk dress (I also read there may have been a large ‘punishment’).  I read something bleak about how it was a coveted day for women concerned they’d be ‘left on the shelf’; ug.  Supposedly in Greece it is seen to be bad luck to have a wedding in a Leap Year and in Scotland bad luck for a child to be born on February 29.

The reason it is called Leap Year has to do historically with English law not recognizing it as a legal day for business and therefore it is ‘leapt over’ with business transactions to occur on February 28 or March 1.

Despite not uncovering any food customs, I did find a Leap Year cocktail.  It originates back to Harry Craddock who was the bartender at the famous Savoy Hotel in London and he is said to have developed this cocktail for a Leap Year celebration in 1928.

LEAP YEAR cocktail
One should approach this cocktail slowly like a large, stealthy wild cat stalking the only prey it’s seen for weeks.  Pounce too quickly and you’ll be sorry.  Think of this as a brightly flavored martini, not to be taken lightly; lest you be knocked out until the Leap Year!  It’s very tasty….and forte!
Yield:  1 cocktail
·         2 ounces gin*
·         ½ ounce Grand Marnier
·         ½ ounce Sweet Vermouth
·         ¼ ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
·         Garnish:  Lemon spiral (click here for instructions)
*I suppose to be in fashion with this cocktail’s origins using a British gin brand would be fitting but I’m a locavore so I used my gin of choice Rob’s Mountain Gin (Growing Gardens limited edition batch).
Combine all ingredients in a shaker with ice.  Shake, and pour into a chilled cocktail glass.

Pin It

Comments

This cocktail looks great! I like your description of how to carefully approach it…. hehehehe :)))

I host a “Happy Hour Friday” linkup on my blog on Fridays. Would love to have you join.

Happy Leap Day!

–shelley

Whoo … this sounds like it packs a pretty powerful punch! The haze will probably last me til the next leap year :)
    I don't see it as bad luck to be born on this day … you'll always be much younger than your peers and for me, it's a good thing :)
    Happy Leap Day to you!

Ping I love how you think. A bit like human years to dog years. I think from now on if I'm asked my age I'll counter with 'in human or leap years?'. The drink it very flavorful….and serious business if you know what I mean. Happy Leap Day to you!

If only I needed a kiss, a pair of gloves or a silk dress…

You know, I've never been a huge fan of gin. In fact, I've hated it. But I recently had a stellar cocktail with gin that actually blew my mind, so it may be time to give it another go? I can imagine that the citrus in this would balance out the juniper a tad, right?

Well not all gins are created equal. As with anything you need to have a gin with flavor you like. I do like gin but l-o-v-e the local gin by Rob's Mountain Gin. The special edition batch I used was created as a fundraiser for our local community garden project. All the ingedients are from within 15 miles. I also had the opportunity to go pick juniper berries for it too! The citrus does brighten this up, you are right (it still packs a whollop!)

I love learning about different origins too surrounding holidays – it is always so interesting to learn what other cultures believe and customs they follow. Thank god London decided to celebrate with this cocktail though because it sounds delicious!

Things must have been pretty winging in 1928 too for this cocktail to have been dreamed up! I also read Harry Craddock said this cocktail was probably responsible for more proposals than any other!

I remember being in elementary school and all the high school kids dressing up like hillbillies on Sadie Hawkins Day. (I think there was a dance, too.) By the time I got to HS, they had discontinued this. I had no idea the tradition dated back to England. Nice cocktail! (Aren't ya' glad we are beyond all this?)

I'm sorry if I mislead you; Sadie Hawkins is an American tradition. My reference to the practice of allowing women to propose to men on February 29 as 'Sadie Hawkins-esque' was giving a nod to the girls-ask-boys aspect. I too remember Sadie Hawkins dances. I think now life is not so 'only boys do the asking'.