Persimmon Pudding with Hard Sauce

Earlier this week I was honored to do a Guest Post on the website of a cyber Gal Pal, Rebecca of Chow and Chatter.  Rebecca and I collided on Twitter some time ago.  She embodies the spirit of Social Media by my definition.  A knowledgeable, warm reach parlaying her dietary knowledge and international savvy.  Rebecca is a British ex pat amazingly juggling her work as a Social Media maven, Registered Dietician as well as being a Mom to a toddler and newborn.  She never skips a beat.  You can find her tweeting (Twitter ID: @chowandchatter) great links several times a day offering a window into international culinary happenings and recipes as well as stimulating thoughtful exchanges between ‘Tweeters’.  I’ve spent an evening going through her Social Media tip videos on her website as well as her eBooks.  She has developed her own recipe ‘app’ for smart phones as well.  Rebecca really is a dynamo and I encourage you to pop over and check out her blog; it’s a treasure trove of information, recipes and interviews.  I’m sharing an abbreviated version of the Guest Post here to both introduce Rebecca but share the vintage recipe with you as well.
The bonding between Rebecca and I truly crystallized earlier this fall over my obsessions of anything Anglophile or anything I can infuse in a jar basically.  I became smitten with things like Hedgerow Gin and Sloe Gin, voraciously researching fruits of the hedgerow and what liquor I could make with them.  Rebecca would throw me a bone when she found one in the form of any links with such recipes; I suspect both out of kindness and to watch my puppy-like antics when receiving a link for something like Wild Plum Gin Sorbet (which I made immediately).

When I would travel through the UK anytime around the holidays I’d always bring home a Christmas Pudding (and jarred Hard Sauce).   Christmas Pudding is a bit like a souped up fruitcake equivalent for those in the U.S.  It’s steeped in booze so literally can be kept for a year before eating.  When I found a recipe for Persimmon Pudding with Hard Sauce in my Grandmother’s recipe box I knew I wanted to make it for this post.  A bit of a nod to Rebecca’s UK heritage interwoven with my passion for all things vintage and seasonal.
I will admit both that I had no idea what to expect when making this and that I was thrilled with the outcome.  Americans will associate the term ‘pudding’ with a creamy, gelatinous dessert but this is truly the form more of the UK experience.  More like a dense cake, perfectly seasoned with holiday signature flavors without being ‘too much’.  And let’s face it; anything with Hard Sauce can’t be beat.
PERSIMMON PUDDING with HARD SAUCE
The original recipes indicates to put the pudding in a mold to bake however I elected to use individual ramekins.  If cooking in a mold, either solid or tubular, I would check the pudding at 30 minutes by sticking toothpick in (and check it comes out clean) and watching the browning on the exposed surface for doneness.  If the toothpick is clean, it’s done.  It does brown but should not over brown on the top.  Slice and serve on a plate with hard sauce.  Also the original recipe indicated to grease a mold.   I did not grease the ramekins and had no issue; greasing the mold would probably be a good idea.
Serves: 6-8
·         1 cup flour (I used gluten free flour)
·         1 cup sugar
·         ¼ teaspoon salt
·         2 teaspoons baking soda
·         1 teaspoon cinnamon
·         1 cup peeled, seeded, mashed persimmon pulp (approximately 2-3 large persimmons)
·         ½ cup milk
·         2 tablespoons butter, melted
·         ½ teaspoon vanilla
·         1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (I used a mix of the two and it was delicious)
1.      Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2.      Mix together (with mixer or by hand) flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon.
3.      To the dry ingredients above add the persimmon pulp, milk, butter; mix until well combined.
4.      Stir in the vanilla and nuts to the mixture and fully combine.
5.      Fill ramekins* 2/3 full and bake on a cookie sheet for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean and top has begun to brown.
*I used 2-6 ounce and 4-4 ounce ramekins for this recipe
HARD SAUCE
·         ¼ pound (one stick) unsalted butter, melted
·         2 cups confectioner’s/powdered sugar
·         ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
·         1 egg white, beaten
·         ½ cup cream, whipped  (I hand whisked the cream to ‘lift’ it but not to make it peak)
·         1 ‘jigger’ (ounce) of rum
Blend all ingredients and serve with the Persimmon Pudding.

Comments

I don't believe I've had anything like this before. I'm imagining it to be crunchy on the outside and chewy, sticky on the inside with a caramelly flavor and with a subtle flavor of the persimmons …. gosh, I'm salivating just thinking about it. I'd love to pick at those bits along the outside of the ramekins :D Gorgeous!

This is also a new one to me, but I am definitely intrigued by the textures as well as flavors that were pulled together to make this dish. I always enjoy coming across new dishes like this-thanks for sharing. Definitely worth a try-your pictures are tempting.

I bought a bunch of persimmon the other day and my daughter kept saying how light the color of the tomatoes were. I was telling her they were not tomatoes but're distant cousins. I haven't tried persimmon like this before. I am excited to try this out. Looks really unique and tasty!

Persimmon pudding? How fantastic. I adore hard sauce, but I've generally only had it with mincemeat. But I would dive into this one. Buzzed! (and I love Rebecca on Twitter, she's a doll!)

This reminds me so much of the very first recipe swap! CM and I had to re-interpret 'Autumn Spiced Persimmon Pudding'. I had never cooked with persimmons before, but quickly discovered that they are an amazing fruit. Bravo with this recipe…the pudding sounds delightful, and your hard sauce sounds AMAZING.

These look lovely. I really like the snowflake shape you've got going on here! I've never heard of hard sauce and I think it sounds amazing. I very recently tried persimmons and they weren't my thing but I did have them on their own…but this dessert seems irresistable.

I think I am going to try this one out – Persimmons are currently available here in the UK. I am looking forward to trying this one out as well as the Grasshopper pie.

Pattypan

x

ooooh persimmons! I looooove persimmons but I love them so much that I never want to actually bake with them. What a luscious, decadent dessert – it really, really says Christmas.

I recently encountered hard sauce for the first time a few days ago, and I have to admit I was really put off by it at first (maybe it was just the name)! But then I tried it and became a total convert. I bet it's the perfect accompaniment for this pudding. :)

10. Anonymous says

Did anyone actually make this recipe or are you all just thinking it would be good. Sure would like some comment from a few people who cooked it.

'm intrigued, I have to say – I tried my first persimmon a few weeks ago, and while the flavor was great, it left a nasty, mealy feeling all around my mouth. If the pudding gets rid off that, I'd love to try! The spicing and sauce sound awesome.

I just made this the other day and it was so incredibly rich and delicious! I had a little problem with the hard sauce as I should have used a mixer instead of hand whisking it…it didn’t get to the consistency that it should have…it was a little on the runny side, but still delicious, nonetheless! Thanks for sharing : )

13. Sara S says

We have persimmon trees in Indiana. I make a persimmon pudding that is more the consistancy of pudding because you stir it while it’s baking. My mother has tweak the recipe so that we can make it in the crockpot. I think I will try the hard sauce for the next batch I make this fall.